Neighbors react to Las Cruces 6-year-old overdose
LAS CRUCES, N.M. — A 6-year-old disabled Las Cruces boy nearly died after overdosing on sleeping pills and possibly other strong prescription drugs early Tuesday morning.
The boy's mother, Lucinda Mary Randall, 43, has been charged with one count of intentional child abuse for allegedly giving her son a double dose of sleeping medication and possibly other drugs.
"Medical personal told investigators that they believe the young boy was on some type of narcotic," said Las Cruces Police Department Spokesperson Dan Trujillo.
A criminal complaint alleges the boy was possibly on oxycodone or methadone. Both are strong pain killers and heavily controlled substances.
An area neighbor said he was woken up by the flashing lights of emergency responders when Randall called for help when the boy stopped breathing.
"He was even blue," said Frank Duran who lives across from the street. You could tell he wasn't even really breathing."
A criminal complaint states the boy was breathing once or twice per minute.
The complaint also said police found pills throughout the home as well as urine and feces, even in the boy's bed.
The boy's older sister told investigators in the complaint, Randall would look up conditions online and ask doctors to prescribe her kid's with that medication.
Duran said the state had already investigated the home before.
"After child services had come the first time we never saw her (the daughter) again," Duran said.
The young boy however, would regularly play on the street unsupervised according to Duran and he said it was obvious he wasn't being cared for properly.
"He was either in pajamas, no socks, no shoes never looked like his hair got brushed he was in poor poor bad condition," Duran said.
The criminal complaint also stated the boy's teeth were "rotting."
Duran said he and his neighbors helped make sure he stayed safe on the street, but couldn't help behind closed doors.
"I'm very upset about it," he said. There's only so much we can do as neighbors friends and loved ones but sometimes it's just out of our hands."