Near Drowning Victim on Ventilator
POSTED: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 8:45am
UPDATED: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 8:36am
El Paso - A two-year-old boy remains on a ventilator in critical condition after a near drowning.
The boy was pulled from the pool in the 900 block of Vereda Del Valle.
The El Paso Fire Department offers the following advice to avoid something like that from happening to you:
1. If a child is missing always look in the swimming pool first. Seconds count!
2. Knowing how to swim doesn’t make a child drown proof.
3. Never use a floatation device as a substitute for supervision.
4. Keep rescue equipment and a phone next to the pool.
5. Install barriers around the pool. Fences and walls should be at least 4 feet high.
6. Gates should be self-closing and self-latching.
7. Never leave toys floating in the pool. They attract young children who might try to reach for them.
8. Use a pool cover when the pool is not in use.
9. Learn Cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The life you save might be your child's.