Marmolejo Trial Day Seven Underway

Marmolejo Trial Day Seven Underway

POSTED: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 12:08pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 6:33pm

David Marmolejo is accused of killing his mother Gloria and dumping her body in the Santa Teresa desert.

UPDATE: 11:15 a.m.

Katherine Thompson is the wife of one of David Marmolejo's best friends, Michael Thompson. She said they've known each other for about 15 years. Marmolejo went to the Thompson's home the evening after his mother disappeared.
Thompson testified that David arrived at her home around 7 p.m. for a BBQ. She said he stayed until around 1 a.m. when he and Mariah Wilson left the home.
The prosecution once again focused on phone records. They showed that David Marmolejo made several calls between 7 and 7:30 p.m.
They asked Thompson whether she remembered seeing David make those calls at her house. She replied "no." She only remembered one call Marmolejo made to her husband to see where he was.


Defense Attorney Greg Anderson asked Thompson whether she noticed anything different about the way Marmolejo was acting. She said "no".

She also said she didn't notice any cuts or anything like that on his hands.
Anderson then asked Thompson whether she was a hall or phone monitor. She replied, "no," that she wasn't following him around to see who he was calling.
The defense then asked Thompson how many times Detective Joe Ochoa interviewed her. She said several times.

Anderson then asked whether he tried to influence her to change her story. She replied "yes".

Thompson went on to say "He (Ochoa) treated us very badly... like we were suspects."
Anderson said, "Did he bully you?" Thompson said, "He tried to."

UPDATE 12:00 p.m.

Things got very emotional when court resumed, as Gloria's parents and David Marmolejo's grandparents were called to the stand.

Each said it was very hard for them to testify.
Marmolejo's grandfather spoke about the weekend Gloria disappeared and how he went to her home and spoke with David.
He also confirmed he had made a mistake, thinking Gloria had stopped by his house the Saturday she went missing. Instead, he said his wife had just been talking to her on the phone, and thought he had heard Gloria's voice in the house.
The grandfather also said in the past he had gone to Gloria's home to check on things and saw women's underwear and Hooters restaurant uniforms in the room.

Things took an emotional turn when Marmolejo's grandmother, Mary, took the stand.

The prosecution asked her how she knew Gloria. Mary replied, "She was my daughter."

Mary then broke down crying. David Marmolejo could also be seen crying and wiping tears from his eyes.

Several jurors also looked visibly upset as she began to testify.
Court then took a break.

UPDATE 3:00 p.m.
After court resumed, Marmolejo's grandma, Mary, returned to the stand. She testified about talking with her daughter, Gloria, the day she returned from Arizona and disappeared. Mary said Gloria told her she was coming home, and not to tell David about her return.
Mary testified Gloria called her again when she arrived home. She said Gloria was upset that the house was a mess.
Mary said she didn't hear from Gloria all weekend after that. Monday morning, she said David told her he couldn't find his mother.
Mary testified that she went to the house with Marmolejo to check things. She said she saw Gloria's makeup bag and one of her contacts in the bathroom, and that's when she started getting scared.
Mary also said Gloria had quit walking at the park where her car was found.
When asked about how her daughter felt about David and Mariah's relationship, she said Gloria didn't like it and wanted to stop it.

Reyna Yanez and her boyfriend, Robert Campos, were also called to the stand. Reyna was renting a room in Gloria's home during the time she went missing. Campos was her boyfriend at the time.
Both said they were in Reyna's room the night Gloria disappeared. They testified that they did not hear any noises, not even a garage door opening, at any time.

Comments News Comments

Keep them coming. I couldn't attend today. It gets even more interesting as the days go by.

Thanks KTSM for keeping us up to date on the days activites. This is such a sad case..

Post new Comment