Man Says IPad Too Hot To Handle
POSTED: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 9:26pm
UPDATED: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 12:25pm
EL PASO - An El Paso man couldn't wait until he got his hands on the new IPad 2. Now he says his purchase became not only a headache, but a potential fire hazard.
15 million IPads have been sold in less than a year. So when the company unveiled its newest model this month, the IPad 2, nursing student Hector Camacho was one of the first in line to get it.
"There's all these nursing applications so I bought it the first day it came out," Camacho said.
He paid $500 for it, but after charging it a few times he realized it may not be the smoking deal he once thought.
"After I unplugged it, the adapter to the wall was really really hot, and one time I even burned myself slightly," he said.
But Camacho is not only a nursing student. He's an ex-firefighter, no longer on the department here because of an injury, he says.
"Being an ex firefighter I realized that was a huge fire hazard; if I would've not noticed I probably would've burned down everything," he said.
Camacho called up Apple, and the company told him to send in his IPad and he would get a new one in three days. But he is still waiting.
"They basically lied to me, they said I was going to get a new one in three days, it's been over 2 weeks now and I haven't received it."
The original IPad has also come under fire after some people claimed it overheats in direct sunlight. Most recently, a lawsuit accusing Apple of fraud was thrown out by a judge, according to Lexxus Nexxus.
While Camacho isn't planning on going to court, he's says he's not going to buy another Apple product anytime soon.
"Looking back I wish I would've never bought it."
We called Apple and they now say they'll expedite Camacho's IPad to him and he should have it by the end of the week. They also say that don't know how many IPad 2's have been overheating, but that if you think there's anything wrong with your product, call them immediately.