Breaking News

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 4:42pm

Law enforcement jumps into action after reports of possible gunman


POSTED: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:38pm

UPDATED: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:40pm

Just before 1 p.m., a normal Friday turned into panic when MacArthur Elementary school officials called police, after a custodian reportedly saw a person with a gun on campus.

"I texted some of my friends, they said its locked down, there's cops everywhere and we just felt really scared,” said a MacArthur student.

El Paso Police weren't the only ones that snapped into action and put Burges High School and MacArthur Elementary under lockdown.

"There's helicopters, there's dogs, there's sheriffs, State Troopers, El Paso Police Department, even the Border Patrol is here,” said Barbara Robbins.

A resident in the neighborhood came outside to find out what happened.

"I got home from the grocery store and I saw four police cars, one on each corner of MacArther school, they said they hadn't found anyone yet but then all these helicopters started coming over my house," said Anna Schafer.

Parents gathered outside Burges and MacArthur elementary school, nervously waiting behind police tape for their kids, while officers swept and secured the campus. El Paso Police brought in a K9 and finally they got word.

"At this particular time, we're getting ready to release parents to allow them to go pick up their kids, no one was injured, there were no shots fired or anything along those lines. All the kids are safe," said EPISD Chief of Police Victor Araiza.

MacArthur students got out at their normal time while Burges High School kept their students under lockdown a little longer.

"We saw the helicopters around and my mother had called my brother asking what happened, so we came over here rushing and then they said the school is safe," said concerned family member Diana Lopez.

At 3:45p.m., Burges High School let their students out.

"For them to call everybody, that's pretty good, take precaution, especially what happened in Connecticut," said family member Samantha Lopez.

Parents were reunited with their children.

"As a parent, a lot of things go through your mind, but it seems like everything is under control and we appreciate all the law enforcement in this area. The kids are ok today, said a concerned parent.”

At 5pm, law enforcement called off the search for the suspect. Fortunately, no one was hurt. It's important to note, police never confirmed if there was a gun.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment