Las Cruces Fire Department shares tips on flammable liquids

Las Cruces Fire Department shares tips on flammable liquids
MGN Online
News
Thursday, June 12, 2014 - 1:27pm

Tuesday morning’s fire on Windsor Place has prompted the Las Cruces Fire Department to remind residents to exercise caution when handling or storing flammable liquids.

The fire, which caused extensive damage to the home and sent an occupant to the hospital with burn injuries to his arms, is believed to have started when gasoline fumes in the garage were ignited by the pilot flame from a nearby water heater.

Gasoline, diesel fuel, LP gas, degreasing solvents, paint thinners, and certain paints are among flammable materials.

The Fire Department recommends:

  • Store fuels, gasoline and other flammable materials only in containers that are clearly labeled and designated for such use.
  • Store containers in a cool, well-ventilated area preferably outside the home.
  • Keep fuels and gasoline away from heaters, furnaces, water heaters, ranges and other gas appliances.
  • Periodically check fuel containers for leaks or deterioration.
  • Never siphon fuel by mouth. Instead, use a pump designated for such use.
  • Avoid inhaling gasoline vapors or fumes.
  • Never use, transfer or siphon gasoline in an enclosed space, such as a garage. Do so only in a well-ventilated area away from any ignition source.
  • Before cutting or welding material or tanks previously used for storing fuel (such as a gasoline or propane tank), completely flush the material or tank with water to wash away lingering residues or vapors.
  • Keep flammable liquids out of the reach of children.
  • Never smoke near fuels, gasoline or other flammable materials.

For more information on the storage or handling of flammable liquids, contact the Las Cruces Fire Department at (575) 528-FIRE (3473).
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment