Las Cruces Fire Department Offers Safety Tips For Fire Prevention Week
LAS CRUCES, NM — This week is National Fire Prevention Week. The theme is "Have Two Ways Out," so the Las Cruces Fire Department is spreading the message by offering safety tips that someday may save a life.
· Draw a map of each level of your home and show all doors and windows. Find at least two ways to get out of each room, and make sure that all doors and windows that lead outside can easily open.
· Use only collapsible escape ladders that are evaluated by a recognized testing laboratory. Know how to operate the ladder but use it only in a real emergency.
· Teach children how to escape on their own in case you or another adult cannot help them.
· Have a plan for everyone in your home who has a disability.
· Practice your fire escape plan at night and during daytime hours.
· Keep and maintain fire extinguishers in your home and garage, and ensure that occupants know where they're stored and how to operate them.
· Never dial 911 from inside a burning home or structure. Evacuate the building and call 911 from a safe location away from the fire.
· Teach children how to dial 911 in the event of an emergency.
· Designate a meeting place outside your home, like a trusted neighbor's house, and make sure children know that they are to go there in the event of an emergency.
For more fire safety tips, visit the Las Cruces Fire Department's website at http://www.clcfd.com/.