News Alert

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 2:45pm

UPDATE: Cat removed from power pole

Eason Family

POSTED: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 9:57pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 8:05am

'Athena' the cat was stuck on electrical pole for 4 days

UPDATE 258 p.m.: Reporter Juan Gutierrez says that Athena the cat has been safely removed from the power pole near her owner's home. Officials say she is being treated for dehydration.

UPDATE 240 p.m: Officials with Dona Ana County, as well El Paso Electric and local fire departments are on scene with bucket trucks to get Athena the cat down from the electrical pole.  Power will have to be cut to nearly 80 homes in order to safely remove the cat from the pole.

El Paso Electric is working to de-energize the lines, so that officials fire officials can get the cat down.

Editor's Note: A representative from the Las Cruces Police Department contacted NC9 to let us know that the home is outside of the Las Cruces City limits, and will have to utlize county assistance. As of 12:07 p.m. Monday afternoon, the Eason family reports that the cat is still on the power pole. We will continue to follow this story.

Original Story:

The Eason family in Dona Ana County says their cat, Athena, has been stuck up on an electrical pole since Friday, after coyotes chased her up there - she even survived Saturday night's 50 mph winds.

The family has tried contacting the El Paso Electric Company, the Las Cruces Fire Department, Las Cruces Animal Control, and police but they say they haven't been helped.

The Easons set up their truck just under the pole for the cat to jump down but she won't budge.

They also posted a picture of her on Facebook and have since gotten an outpouring of support from the community.

"People were really concerned about the safety of the cat, and us actually - some people were telling us not to climb the pole ourselves. They gave us all sorts of phone numbers, emergency contact for the electric company and the fire department, but unfortunately they haven't replied to us yet," said Zach Eason.

NewsChannel 9 reached out to Las Cruces Animal Control on Sunday afternoon, a person who answered the phone said they'd send an officer out to try and get the cat down.  We contacted the Eason family, who told us "nobody came by on Sunday."


Comments News Comments


Post new Comment