|
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 1:20am

Kitchen Cops Reveal Cleanest and Dirtiest Restaurants

News

POSTED: Thursday, July 8, 2010 - 6:41pm

UPDATED: Friday, July 9, 2010 - 12:03pm

The NewsChannel 9 Kitchen Cops obtained the highest and the lowest health inspection scores from May 23rd to 29th.


First on our passing list is the Papa John's at 11360 Montwood. It scored a 94 out of 100 possible points. There were no major violations here. According to the inspection report, a can opener and vegetable slicer were dirty.

Next up is the KFC located at 1202 McRae. It scored a 92. That's also a very good score. The inspector noted chicken strips on the line weren't being kept hot enough. That is a serious violation because certain foods that aren't kept at the right temperature, hot or cold enough, can grow dangerous bacteria that can make you sick.

Now on to some of the restaurants that failed inspection, meaning a score of 69 and below. First on the list is Geske's Fire Grill at 1506 Lee Trevino. It scored a 68. The inspector noted sour cream and chicken salad that weren't being kept cold enough. There were also rotted, moldy onions, shredded pork in the refrigerator that wasn't marked with a preparation date as required, and a missing thermometer in a refrigerator. The ice maker was also dirty. A manager told us they take food safety and cleanliness very seriously and have taken multiple steps to make sure that the restaurant is up to health code and the violations don't happen again.


Restaurante Canutillo at 420 Talbot also failed inspection with a score of 68. The inspector found shredded cheese in an ice bath that wasn't being kept cold enough, a colander inside a hand washing sink, no paper towels at a hand washing sink, an uncalibrated thermometer in a refrigerator and a dirty cutting board.


Moving on now to JJ's Gorditas at 1188 N. Yarbrough. It scored a 65. According to the inspection report there was no hot water throughout the restaurant because of a broken boiler. The inspector also noted food coloring from Mexico not approved by the FDA, a dirty microwave, a missing thermometer in a refrigerator and food not marked with a preparation date in the refrigerator.


Finally on the failing list this week is Super Fish Mexican Seafood at 9919 Montana. It scored a 61. The inspector wrote in the report that all the food in a reach in refrigerator wasn't being kept cold enough, the cook was seen rinsing his hands in the mop sink and also handling tortillas and cilantro with his bare hands. Paper towels were missing from a hand washing sink and a microwave was dirty.


When a restaurant fails inspection, the inspector works with the manager to correct as many problems on the spot. It also has to pass re-inspection and pay a fine.

Comments News Comments

Health Inspection scores are public information so you do not need to wait for the news station to run a story to be informed, if you are interested just look it up. By the way,Geske received a 94 on the reinspection.

What makes me laugh is that "nice" restaurants have a worse record then a freakin subway or sonics.

Talk about having no pride in your restaurant in getting beat by a fast food place. If i wanted a value meal i will go there but theres a reason why i go to an actual restuarant not some toy despensing, fries with that place.

and the months to come i will look forward to checking Geske's track record since they promised it won't happen again.

because, bbunny755 its like we live in a 3rd world country here in El Paso. surely you have asked the question! can we get up to speed with the rest of the country on doing something so civilized as this posting on restaurants
kerry

In cities like Nashville, TN, restaurants are required to post scores from health department inspections on the front door. Why isn't this put into action here?

El paso will always be 4-6yrs behind everything including things like this. Only time something will change like this is if multiple people get sick at a restaurant and its in the news. Seems to be the only way to get things done in this city.

I too wish we had the ABC law and the requirement to show that on their door at all times.

Post new Comment