EL PASO- Ever wonder why the holidays might be stressing you out?
From the extra shopping, the long lines, to the bills...there's a lot going on. Big indicators for a holiday that might be spiraling out of control are money problems and poor time management. Local psychiatrists are urging everyone to slow down this season. There are some simple things you can do to avoid a stressed out holiday like sticking to a financial budget, avoiding alcoholic drinks and exercising on a regular basis.
Crisis hot lines have traditionally been the quickest way to gey help, but Doctor Raul Jimenez of Alternatives Center for Behavioral Health suggests having a trusted friend or close family member on speed dial.
What can you do?
1. make a financial budget and stick to it.
2. shop online and avoid the crowds, many online stores have free shipping.
3. give gift cards, let them pick out their own gifts.
4. budget your time, do a little each day so you won't be so stressed as the big day approaches.
5. continue your exercise program.
6. go to bed at the same time each night.
7. eat something healthy before going to parties and drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol you drink.
8. if your spouse has a history of abuse toward you, have a safety plan ready in case things get out of hand.
9. keep your counseling and mental health appointments and don't stop taking any medications.
10. be with friends and don't isolate.
11. pray, meditate or use relaxation skills.
12. if you feel like you are losing control, are crying all the time, having suicidal thoughts or wish you weren't here, drinking too much, using drugs, angry all the time; you should get help. everyone needs help sometime. call a mental health professional, or call alternatives at (915) 757-7999.
This should be the season of joy!