Government shutdown impact on the Borderland
POSTED: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 - 11:17am
UPDATED: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 - 9:30am
List of area-wide closures
EL PASO, TX — Below is an updated list area closures due to the Federal Government Shutdown.
- Chamizal National Memorial
- Guadalupe National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns
- White Sands National Monument
NM FEDERAL COURTHOUSE:
- Operating on schedule until further notice.
- Commissaries will begin systematic shutdown beginning October 2. Fort Bliss Commissary is having a case sale today to reduce the amount of perishables left on the shelves. No confirmed time of actual shutdown.
- AAFES Exchange Services will remain mostly unaffected.
- Town Hall focusing on College Readiness is canceled until further notice.
- Active-Duty military report for duty and will be paid.
- Family and MWR facilities continue to operate under normal hours.
- Child care centers, physical fitness centers and recreational facilities are currently unaffected.
- Army Community Service remains open with minimal staffing. Some areas are currently closed.
WILLIAM BEAUMONT ARMY MEDICAL CENTER
- No closures at this time.
WHITE SANDS MISSLE RANGE
- Commissary will remain open until further notice.
- On-post Soldiers and Family services will continue to run as normal, but there may be delays and/or limited services at times.
- •Approximately 2,700 civilian employees arrived for work this morning and received furlough notices. All employees expected to be home by noon, with only handful of emergency and mission critical employees remaining.
HOLLOMAN AIR FORCE BASE
Civilian employees arrived for work and received furlough notices. Essential employees remain on base.
- AmeriCorps - all public CNCS, AmeriCorps and Senior Corps activities are postponed until further notice.
- Air-Traffic controllers, prison guards and border-patrol agents required to report for duty without pay.
- FHA Home Loans will not be processed or underwritten until further notice.