Residents displaced after code violations shutter the Gateway Hotel

KTSM
News

POSTED: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 5:16pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 2:06pm

Local agencies swarmed the Gateway Hotel, located at 104 N. Stanton in Downtown El Paso after a failed fire inspection caused authorities to seek assistance from outside agencies.

El Paso Fire Department George De La Torre confirmed that EPFD is on the scene at the hotel on a follow-up inspection stemming from a failed fire safety inspection. During the investigation, several other possible code violations appeared.

"During that inspection, we found some other issues and we brought in additional City entities to help us ensure the safety of the residents of the building." said Assistant Fire Chief Calvin Shanks.

The issues within the hotel involve the building's gas, plumbing and electricity, on top of fire concerns.

As for the residents, they'll be staying elsewhere until the building can be certified as livable by officials. Shanks says Adult Protective Services and the Coalition for the Homeless will be helping the residents find a place to stay.

Many residents expressed their frustration at the situation, which comes just days after rent was due.

The Gateway Hotel has a checkered past which includes more than two dozen arrests and convictions during a human smuggling case in 2011.

.

Comments News Comments

shut it down ..and ship the transplants back up north ....

Post new Comment