Firefighters: Unattended Candle to Blame for Mobile Home Fire

News

POSTED: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 3:26am

UPDATED: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 8:52am

EL PASO - A family of four is safe this morning after a fire destroyed their mobile home in the Mission Estates Mobile Home Community on Rojas.

Nearly 2 dozen firefighters responded to a fire shortly after 6 p.m. Thursday.  When they arrived, they found four people inside the home.  Three children were taken to University Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation.

Red Cross of El Paso is assisting the family.

Investigators say an unattended candle in the back bedroom is to blame for the fire.  Damages are estimated at $80,000.

Candle Safety Tips:
- Avoid using lighted candles
- If you do use candles, ensure they are in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders and placed where they cannot be easily knocked down
- Keep candles of out the reach of children and pets
- Set a good example by using matches, lighters and fire carefully
- Children should never be allowed to play with matches, lighters or candles
- Never leave the house with candles burning
- Extinguish candles after use

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment