Fire Temporarily Shuts Down Local Restaurant

News
Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 9:25am

EL PASO - Regulars at a Northeast El Paso restaurant are waiting to find out when they'll be able to grab a bite at one of their favorite Mexican spots after a fire overnight.

Tyler Marchese is a regular at La Taquiza, he says the restaurant is a popular lunch spot for students in the area.

"Everybody came at lunch, after school, even during classes sometimes," Marchese said.

Today he's up extra early after hearing about the fire at one of his favorite restaurants.

"I actually came to see what happened, because I heard about it on Facebook that La Taquiza burned and I was shocked. So we came to see the damage," Marchese said.

The fire started just before 11 p.m., investigators say someone left a burner on catching the grease on fire.

Firefighters rushed to the scene after someone driving by called it in.

"Upon arrival they found heavy smoke emanating from the roof of the structure, they did force entry, went inside, they found fire in the kitchen area emanating from one of the stoves," James Carvalho of the El Paso Fire Department said.

La Taquiza is typically open 7 days a week, but because of the fire restaurant owners can't open up until the health department gives the okay.

And Tyler say's he'll be waiting for the doors to open so he can eat some of his choice meals off of the menu.

"The burritos the gorditas, everything is good even the fries were really good," Marchese said.

The restaurant was closed at the time so there were no injuries.

The health department is scheduled to come by the restaurant today to determine when it'll be safe for the restaurant to re-open.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment