Fire destroys two-story home near Socorro
EL PASO (KTSM) — A family was displaced after a fire destroyed their home near Socorro.
Investigators said four people were inside the home on Via Placita near Loop 375 when it caught fire just after 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
Three family members made it out safely, while firefighters had to rescue one woman from a balcony. No one was hurt.
Investigators said a lamp with frayed wiring on the back patio started the fire and because of weather conditions, firefighters said the fire quickly spread.
“Whenever the wind is blowing like that and especially from the site the fire originated, it blew it in the interior of the house. Also when it's cold outside, it causes the smoke to bank down. It keeps the smoke at the lower levels. It doesn't allow the smoke to normally travel upwards like it normally will, so it was heavy smoke conditions on both floors of the fire," said El Paso Fire Department Battalion Chief Brad St. Myers.
Investigators estimate the damages to be $500,000.