Fire Destroys Mobile Home In Montana Vista

News

POSTED: Monday, April 2, 2012 - 5:48pm

UPDATED: Monday, April 2, 2012 - 5:51pm

A fire has destroyed a Montana Vista home and the family is looking for a new place to live. Investigators said it started as two teenagers roasted peppers on the stove.

911 sent the firefighters to the home on Kruger at 10:30 a.m. Monday after a fire started in the kitchen.

"One of them was cooking apparently roasting chiles on the stove and the chiles caught fire," said Deputy Eileen Lopez with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

Two teens were inside and one of them made a big mistake.

"They tried to take the chiles outside to avoid this but unfortunately with the high winds, it just kicked up the fire," Lopez said.

The next door neighbor saw flames and grabbed a water hose.

"We were trying to save our house... not to spread to our house," said neighbor Michael Cortez.

Cortez said firefighters took a long time to get to the home.

"If they would have got here earlier with water, it wouldn't have been a total loss like it is now," Cortez said.

However, firefighters made it to the home quickly.

"Our first units got on the scene within four minutes," said Captain James Younger with Montana Vista Fire Rescue.

Firefighters needed about 30 minutes to extinguish the flames.

They said several factors made this a bad fire and it could have been avoided.

"Wind was a factor in spreading the fire today,” said Younger. “Also the homeowner's carelessness and throwing the burnt product away and making sure it wasn't out first of all. The homeowner also went around and broke all the windows in the trailer adding to the spread of the fire."

Fortunately, no one is hurt and the Red Cross is helping the family.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment