Family Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Family Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
News
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 4:11pm

A mother and her two teenage sons were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning early Tuesday morning, all of whom were complaining of feeling nauseous, dizzy and lightheaded. 

Upon arrival, emergency crews checked CO readings on the family of three and immediately transported them to Las Palmas Medical Center to be treated. They were expected to be released late Tuesday.

An investigation further revealed that the home’s heater was the cause of the high CO readings in the home.

As a reminder, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas and since it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you. CO poisoning symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. If you or anyone in your family is complaining of any of the symptoms mentioned above, it is extremely important to take the following steps:

1. Evacuate all occupants immediately.
2. Determine how many occupants are ill and determine their symptoms.
3. Call 9-1-1 and when relaying information to the dispatcher, include the number of people feeling ill.
4. Do not re-enter the home without the approval of the fire department.
5. Call a qualified professional to repair the source of the CO.

For additional safety information please contact our Fire Prevention Division at (915) 485-5699 or visit www.elpasotexas.gov/fire.
  

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment