Family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning

Family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning
News
Friday, December 28, 2012 - 5:41pm

A San Elizario family is recovering tonight after what could have been a tragic turn of events.

Five family members were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday evening.Firefighters arrived at the home on Camino De La Rosa in San Elizario at 5pm Thursday evening to find a total of five people, two of which were unconscious, ranging in age from 13-86, sick and disoriented from high levels of carbon monoxide. The family had been using their heater when high levels of carbon monoxide leaked from a heater valve in the home. An ambulance transported all five to a local hospital. Four of the five family members remain in the hospital.

The El Paso County Sheriff's office and the El Paso Fire Department want to remind everyone to be aware of carbon monoxide, because the gas is odorless, colorless and potentially fatal. Safety tips provided below:

· Make sure appliances are properly cleaned, maintained and vented.
· Test smoke & carbon alarm/detectors monthly.
· Keep fresh batteries in alarms/detectors.
· Have a professional inspect heaters, furnaces and fireplaces
· Have and know your escape plan
· Know when to call 9-1-1

Some of the symptoms to remember are headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment