EPPD Officer saves elderly man from burning eastside home
El Paso, TX (KTSM) — An alert El Paso Police Officer saved a man from his burning home early Thursday morning after he saw smoke coming from inside the eastside residence as he was driving by around 9:50 a.m.
The EPPD Officer alerted the elderly homeowner, who was inside asleep at the time by knocking on all of the windows of the home. He was safely evacuated thanks to the actions of the police officer.
Approximately seven fire units and nineteen firefighters arrived at the home, located at 10644 Birthstone, and found heavy smoke coming from the inside of the home. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than 20 minutes, but the home had already sustained structural damage due to the fire and heavy smoke.
Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental and started by a microwave malfunction in the kitchen. The fire spread to nearby kitchen cabinets and through the attic space. Damages are estimated at $50,000.
The elderly homeowner will be staying with family members while repairs are made to his home.