EPFD warns about fires around Halloween
POSTED: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 8:10am
UPDATED: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 8:17am
EL PASO (KTSM) — El Paso Fire Department wants to warn there's an increase of fires around Halloween.
Across the United States, there were more than 11,000 fires in a three-day period around Halloween from 2009 to 2011. The leading causes were heating and cooking. The El Paso Fire Department said people leave the stove and oven to hand out candy and fires can quickly start. They encouraged families to eat dinner early.
Also, if you have decorations outside your home, they said make sure the cords are properly insulated and bare wires are not visible and be cautious when using candles.
"Don’t use open candles or candles for the decoration. Yes, they're nice in the jack lanterns but keep them some place safe to where children that are trick-or-treating aren't going to bump into them or if the winds pick up, they're not going to be knocked over and catch something on fire," said Michael Ortiz with The El Paso Fire Department.
Ortiz also said make sure your child's costume is flame resistant.