El Paso man watches as fire consumes home

El Paso man watches as fire consumes home
News
Friday, April 12, 2013 - 7:49am

A Far Northeast El Paso resident and his pets are now homeless after a fire destroyed his trailer on Friday. The owner, lit a fire in the fireplace, fell asleep and awoke to heavy smoke and flames. Investigators ruled the fire as accidental.

The homeowner, Clarence Kendall, told us he was able to escape the flames by walking out of the front door. He also says he was scared, but managed to get out of his burning home in time. Kendall suffered minor burns on his shoulder and officials say he refused treatment.

Kendall also has five Chihuahua dogs. They were all able to escape, Kendall said. He also claims his closest relatives live in East Texas and he was unsure of how to get a hold of them. 

Red Cross offered assistance to the homeowner, but Kendall told us, he's more concerned about where his dogs will stay.

Fire fighters were able to control the flames within half an hour, but stayed at the 12-thousand block of O'Donnell for several hours to ensure the flames were completely extinguished. 

Investigators estimate the total damage at $50,000.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment