East El Paso Business Plans to Rebuild After Fire

POSTED: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:55am

UPDATED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 3:22pm

Owners say Fire Couldn't Have Come at a Worse Time

Investigators now blame a space heater that was left on for destroying and East El Paso business. Several surrounding businesses were also damaged.

The fire started in the RC and Me Hobby shop in the Montwood Crossings Shopping Center on the 1200 block of Montwood around 7 last night.
Damage is estimated at $350,000.

"This couldn't have happened at a worse time," says Tim Danielewicz, owner of RC and Me Hobbies.

The fire destroyed most of the merchandise in his store during the busiest time of the year. But he says he isn't letting the fire shut down his business.

Danielewicz spent the day running sales from several trailers set up in the parking lot.

"No other businesses were as greatly hurt as us and that makes me feel better it was contained as fast as it was," says Danielewicz.

A framing business next door only had some minor smoke and water damage.

"A few pictures were broken but nothing major we were worried more about our customers things we have," says Linda Quezada, who works at this framing shop.

She says a few paintings need to be cleaned and the carpet replaced but other than that, it was business as usual. Danielewicz hopes his customers keep coming too.

"El Paso's supported us before, come out in great amounts of people. My friends and family are here to help us out and we'll continue through this."

Danielewicz says insurance will cover most of the damage and he expects it to be repaired in the next few weeks.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment