Dog Food Ignites Inside Pet Food Factory Dryer

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 6:24am

Firefighters responded to a fire at the United Valley Pet Food factory on Inglewood near Alameda Tuesday night.

Fire crews arrived on the scene at 10:30 p.m. and said the incident started as dog food was being dried to be packaged.

"This was dog food that was inside a dryer unit that they use to dry it, that ignited and was smoldering within the unit, creating a lot of smoke," said Battalion Chief Matt Hiett.

Hiett said it took firefighters more than an hour to get water to the machine, which was in a confined space.  He said there were no flames, but the main concern was controlling heavy smoke in the area.

Hiett also said there at least two employees working at the time.  There were no injuries.

The majority of the damage was to the dryer, along with minor electrical damage.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.




Comments News Comments

Post new Comment