Canutillo house fire believed to be sparked by homeowner burning weeds

Canutillo house fire believed to be sparked by homeowner burning weeds
KTSM
News
Monday, September 16, 2013 - 11:11pm

A house in Canutillo caught fire Monday afternoon after the homeowner was burning weeds outside with a torch, according to the West Valley Fire Department.

West Valley was able to be on the scene within three minutes of the initial call to Navidad Way but still needed help from surrounding departments to contain the intense fire.

"Crews did an attack on the second floor fire, however it was all the way through the attic," said West Valley Fire Chief Bill Adler.

Adler said the crews totaling 35 firefighters had to use different strategies to control the fire.

Initially he said firefighters were inside taking an offensive approach but had to be pulled out when they realized the roof was going to collapse.

The roof did collapse after all the firefighters were out and then used an aerial approach to control the fire.

"They did a good job," Adler said.

The chief added the home suffered a lot of damage and the second floor was a total loss.

The Red Cross was called out to assist the displaced man living at the home.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment