Sparks Cause Fire at Dona Ana Recycling Plant
LAS CRUCES- A fire that burned several vehicles at an East Mesa recycling center was caused by a spark after a forklift punctured one of the car’s fuel tanks, according to Doña Ana County Fire & Emergency Services.
The fire was reported at 4:15 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10, 2011 in the 8100 block of Bataan Memorial West. Fire departments from Organ, Doña Ana and Las Alturas responded, along with help from the City of Las Cruces Fire Department.
Firefighters quickly determined the fire was coming from a pile of about 10 junked cars that were being prepared for recycling. A forklift that was moving one of the vehicles punctured the fuel tank, which caused a spark that led to the fire, says Captain Kellen Tarkington with Doña Ana County Fire & Emergency Services.
There were no injuries and crews were able to contain the fire and keep it from spreading to nearby property.