Safety Tips For Swimming Season
LAS CRUCES- The weather is getting hotter and if you're lucky enough to have access to a pool, the Las Cruces Police Department would like to share a few tips on pool safety with you.
The Las Cruces Police Department recommends following these and other safety tips:
• Never leave children, or elderly, unsupervised in or near a pool or hot tub.
• Do not consider anyone “drown proof” because they’ve had swimming lessons.
• Do not rely on flotation devices, such as Floaties, as a substitute for supervision.
• Keep rescue equipment, including a telephone, near the pool and easily accessible at all times.
• Remove all toys from the pool after use so children are not tempted to reach for them.
• Refrain from consuming alcohol while swimming or supervising others.
• Remove pool covers completely before use and securely cover after each use.
• Properly secure or lock doors and gates that lead to unsupervised pools. Properly cover hot tubs when not in use.
• Ensure that babysitters and all other users know, and follow, pool safety rules whether the pool is private or public.
• Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and encourage others to do the same
• Never allow children to play in, or near, drainage canals and irrigation ditches.