Rainy Weather Driving Tips
LAS CRUCES- With the possibility of rain showers this weekend in the Borderland, it is important that motorists be prepared for wet roads and potentially unsafe driving conditions.
The Las Cruces Police Department is offering tips that could help improve safety during rainy conditions. The police department recommends following these and other safety tips:
• Slow down. Allow for more travel time when driving in rainy weather.
• When coming to a stop, begin slowing down sooner and gently apply brake pressure. Avoid sudden stops or slamming on brakes.
• Allow for greater distance between vehicles. Normal driving conditions recommend travelling at least three seconds behind other vehicles. When roads are wet it is recommended that drivers increase that distance.
• Give larger vehicles, like trucks and buses, more room for stops and turns.
• Avoid making sudden turns or lane changes.
• Drive around puddles as sitting water may be deeper than what it appears.
• Never attempt to drive through flooded arroyos or running water. Even when driving a 4x4 or large vehicle, like a truck or SUV, fast-moving water can easily overcome it.
• Drive with headlights on so your vehicle is more visible to other drivers.
• Stay alert to surrounding traffic and changing weather conditions.
• If rain is too heavy or streets are flooded, pull over to a safe distance from the roadway until conditions improve.
• Keep your vehicle well-maintained. Periodically check that brakes, tires and windshield wipers are in good working order.