NewsChannel 9's Kitchen Cops Finds Restaurants That Are Failing and Passing City Health Inspections
POSTED: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 1:18pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:16am
The Department of Health gave NewsChannel 9 the inspection reports from April 4th-10th. We took the highest and the lowest scores to feature in tonight's episode of Kitchen Cops. As usual we'll start with some of the restaurants that passed inspection.
First up, "Tacos El Charly" at 14417 Rudy Kuefner got a near perfect score of 94. There were no serious violations there, just a broken thermometer in the refrigerator.
Next we head over to "Pops Better Burger" at 619 Fabens Street. An inspector also found a very clean kitchen here and gave it a score of 91. The inspector just says she found several flies in the dining area.
Moving on now to "El Toro Bronco" at 7689 North Loop. It scored an 88. That's still considered a very good score by the Health Department. One of the only issues here was food residue on a meat slicer.
Now let's move on to the restaurants that failed inspection, meaning a score of 69 or below. "Taco Cabana" located at 4810 Hondo Pass scored a 65. Several serious violations were found here including, hot and cold foods not kept at the right temperature, and a cutting board and dishes were dirty. The inspector also found a box of moldy green chili in the refrigerator. A container of menudo wasn't labeled with a preparation date. Also, the walk in refrigerator needed to be cleaned. The restaurant passed re-inspection.
“Good Coffee" at 6400 Montana scored a 63. Violations here included hot and cold food not at the right temperature, some food in the freezer wasn't dated, equipment was dirty, and the inspector also said all the floors walls and ceilings needed to be cleaned. A manager here told us the problems were fixed the same day and the restaurant passed re-inspection.
“Okoli Cafe" at 10600 North Loop also failed inspection. It got a score of 62. An inspector said food wasn't at the right temperature, and an employee wasn't washing their hands correctly. That same employee was later seen touching cooked chile rellenos after handling raw meat. Also, a sanitizer bucket wasn't labeled. This restaurant also passed re-inspection.
Inspectors require the manager at any restaurant that fails inspection to immediately correct as many problems as possible. That restaurant is then re-inspected until it receives a passing score.