Man Dies From Untreated Toothache
POSTED: Monday, September 5, 2011 - 2:04pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 11:58am
CINCINNATI, OH- A 24-year old man died last week from a tooth infection. While it could have been prevented, it serves as a reminder of just how dangerous an untreated minor infection can be.
"I was like, what? What are you saying to me?" says Patti Collins.
Patti Collins, who you may recognize as Bootsy Collins wife, is holding her nephew's six year old little girl and talking about her reaction when a relative told her what happened to 24-year-old Kyle Willis. No one could believe the young father, an aspiring paralegal, died from what started as a toothache.
"I said what do you mean they're calling the family? She said mom, the infection he had in his tooth has gone to his brain," says Patti.
Kyle’s wisdom tooth started hurting 2 weeks ago. It needed to be pulled, but Kyle was a single father, out of work, and out of health insurance. He hoped the problem would just go away, but then he started getting headaches and his face began to swell.
So he went to the ER.
"They gave him antibiotics and pain meds but he couldn't afford to pay for the antibiotic so he chose the pain meds. And that was not what he needed," says Patti.
Doctors told family the pain had stopped, but the infection kept spreading. It eventually attacked his brain and caused it to swell, leaving his family devastated and little Kylie without a father. Patti says they want to make sure this never happens to anyone else.
"He should have gone to the dentist to take care of the toothache and it wouldn't have escalated to this. It's a lesson learned by all," says Patti.