LCPD's Tips for Safe Shopping this Holiday Season
The Las Cruces Police Department is reminding holiday shoppers of some basic safety tips that will help keep them out of harm's way and should make this a more enjoyable time of year.
Possibly the most sensible rule also doubles as the most enjoyable: take a friend and travel in pairs. Women and men are less vulnerable to criminal activity when traveling as a pair.
Some additional shopping safety tips include:
• Do not leave valuables or merchandise visible in a vehicle. Conceal those items in a trunk or take them home before continuing to shop.
• Roll up windows and lock doors when leaving your vehicle.
• If you take children shopping, keep them within sight and close at all times.
• Do not allow young children to go shopping on their own.
• Never leave children or pets in a parked vehicle.
• If possible, avoid placing a purse in a shopping cart. If you do, use the cart’s safety strap to help secure it.
• Carry your purse close to your body or, better yet, avoid taking a purse and carry a wallet in a front pocket.
• When possible pay for items with a credit or debit card and avoid flashing large amounts of cash while shopping.
• Do not overburden yourself by carrying too many bags or packages – especially in darkened or busy parking lots.
• If shopping after dark, park in a well-lighted area and near the storefront.
• A second parking option is to park near the shopping cart return “corral” so you can unload merchandise and return the cart without walking across a parking lot.
• Do not hesitate to ask store security for an escort to your vehicle.
• Always be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity.
• Tell a friend or family member when and where you’re going, and when you’re expected to return.